Which Yoga Poses Match Your Personality?
by: Lisa Truesdale
Inversions, standing poses, forward bends, balance poses…in the somewhat murky sea of yoga poses, have you ever wondered which pose category best matches your personality? Take our short quiz and find out!
1. Which of these animals do you identify the most with?
- A. Giraffe
- B. Puppy
- C. Cat
- D. Beaver
- E. Mountain Goat
2. Which of these professions appeals to you the most?
- A. Counselor/Psychologist
- B. Tour Guide
- C. Lawyer
- D. Stand-up Comedian
- E. Retirement
3. Choose the vacation you’d most like to have:
- A. A staycation
- B. A cleansing, healing spa retreat
- C. A whirlwind, nonstop tour of monuments and cathedrals in Europe
- D. Mountain climbing… backpacking in for an entire week
- E. Relaxing on a secluded beach with a stack of books
4. What’s your favorite color? (If it’s not listed, choose the one that appeals to you the most.)
- A. Green
- B. Orange
- C. Red
- D. Purple
- E. Blue
5. Which of the following best describes your personality?
- A. Totally grounded, firm in your beliefs
- B. Fun-loving, adventurous, extroverted
- C. Confident, stubborn, playful, and a little sassy
- D. Great sense of humor, normally grounded and balanced, but also enjoy teetering on the edge sometimes
- E. Calm, quiet, introverted
If you answered mostly A’s, you should try STANDING POSES, like Mountain Pose or Warrior I. They help you stand tall, with your feet firmly planted on the ground, and that’s just where you’d prefer to stay.
If you answered mostly B’s, you probably like TWISTS, such as Bharadvaja’s Twist or Half Lord of the Fishes Pose. They’re great for helping to improve digestion, and they help keep your back feeling great, too.
If you answered mostly C’s, try some ARM BALANCES, like Crane Pose, Firefly Pose, or Dolphin Plank Pose. They require strength and make you really test the limits of yours, but you don’t mind at all, and you’re never embarrassed if you happen to fall on your face, either.
If you answered mostly D’s, then BALANCE POSES are for you; try Tree Pose, Eagle Pose, or Half Moon Pose. When you master a balance pose, you feel such a sense of accomplishment, but you know how to keep your wits about you if you don’t.
If you answered mostly E’s, you might want to stick to CORPSE POSE for now. You’ll want to branch out into other poses eventually, but it’s the pose that provides the rest and relaxation you’re craving in the midst of your busy life.
Also in Blog
From the moment we’re born and take our first breath, we’re being socialized or learning what it means to be a member of the culture we were born into. We begin learning through both subtle and overt cues, messages, observations and images what the values and norms of that culture are in that time and place. We learn what is acceptable, desirable, worthy, valuable… and what isn’t.
Micha Shaw, former pro swimmer, walks us through five yoga poses that help athletes who perform repeated movements day in and day out, to not only increase flexibility, mobility and strength, but also bring awareness to movement patterns, enhance performance and stay injury-free.
Amanda Huggins, anxiety coach and Gaiam influencer, tells the story of how she transformed her anxiety into empowerment and offers journaling prompts to begin the process of understanding your relationship with anxiety.