by: Melissa Wood Tepperberg
As a health and wellness coach, yoga teacher and Gaiam Influencer, I recently took over their Instagram to share some of my go-to wellness tips and overall practices that keep me sane. After receiving a ton of questions from you guys throughout the takeover, I really wanted to break it all down and simplify some of the things I shared to help bring a deeper sense of ease into your life (and what better time than now as we approach a new year!). Below are five practices I swear by to bring more peace and calm to your mind, body and your day… not to mention everyone around you.
1. When you first wake up in the morning AVOID reaching for your phone the second you open your eyes. Instead, when your feet hit the floor say one thing you are extremely grateful for in your life.
2. Have a cup of warm water and lemon (with a probiotic) before consuming anything else. If you need to bring it on the go, try Gaiam’s Stainless Steel Wide Mouth Water Bottle as it will keep your liquid warm for up to 12 hours!
3. Sit in a comfortable place in your home with your warm water and lemon. Close your eyes for five minutes minimum each day and practice the following breathing exercise for 15 seconds, continuing it until you feel a sense of ease come over you. Breathe in for a count of five through your nose. Hold your breath at the top for a count of five. Then slowly exhale out your nose for a count of five. PS- if you’re looking for a comfortable meditation cushion to practice these breathing exercises, try Gaiam’s Zafu cushion!
4. At the end of your meditation/breathing exercise ask these four questions,“Where would you have me go? What would you have me do? What would you have me say? And to whom?” These will help guide you as you continue on with your day.
5. Make my beauty boosting energizing spirulina smoothie. I cannot recommend this blend enough, it’s the best way to start the day.
6. Add movement every single morning to boost your energy and mood. Even if it is just for ten minutes a day, you simply will feel better and be more energized. These are three props that I love and use in my daily practice: Gaiam's Beginner Pilates Kit is perfect because it has the sculpting ball, resistance band, and a Pilates workout DVD; this natural cork yoga block is a great addition to my practice; and this restorative Hot & Cold Therapy Kit is awesome for relieving my muscles!
The above practice helps keep me grounded in the chaos of life. By showing up for myself every day and practicing these rituals even when I’m “too busy” or “don’t have the time,” I have learned it is those days that I need it most. If there is anything that I can share to bring more peace into your life in the New Year, it’s to find a practice that speaks to you and commit to it for at least 30 days.
Melissa Wood Tepperberg is a happy mom, certified health and wellness coach, meditator, yoga teacher, fitness professional and thriving on a plant-based diet. Her goal is to really help you live your truth and be your best possible self. Follow along at @melissawoodhealth